I recently created a bar area at my apartment. After cleaning off a bookshelf in my living room and realizing that I had two extra, empty shelves, I decided that the best use of the space was as a bar. The bar would serve two purposes: 1) as an inspiration to try out new, grown-up cocktails and 2) as a way to clear some space in my kitchen cupboards, which are brimming with the miscellaneous glassware and dishes that I have collected for blogging. I was inspired heavily by Pinterest images of pretty bar areas and tutorials from Cupcakes & Cashmere and Glitterguide.
I'm in the process of building the bar, but here's what my bar area consists of so far:
- Liquor: Gin (Bombay Sapphire), Vodka (Absolut), and Bourbon (Basil Hayden's)
- Wine - I have a bottle of Chardonnay and Merlot on hand
- Angostura bitters
- Dry Vermouth
- Pretty paper straws
- Vinturi Wine Aerator (this makes a great hostess gift with a bottle of wine)
- Mermaid bottle opener
- Wine bottle opener
- PDT Cocktail Book
- Cocktail shaker with matching martini glasses and shot glasses (decorated with pink elephants, gift from my sister for my 21st birthday)
- Champagne flutes (super fancy Ikea ones that I had originally planned to glitter DIY)
To celebrate fall and Halloween, I decided to whip up a cocktail, using my favorite liquor - Kentucky Bourbon. This Bourbon Cider Cocktail is so easy to whip up and it's quite elegant. Even my friend who wasn't sure if she liked bourbon liked the cocktail. It is slightly sweet and beware though because you can barely tell there is bourbon in it! Cheers!
Bourbon Cider CocktailFrom Martha Stewart
3/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Slivers of fresh ginger
Apple, sliced crosswise for garnish
Combine cider, bourbon, lemon juice, ginger and maple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously to mix, then pour into rocks glasses through the strainer. Serve with an apple slice garnish.