1) The K's were reunited in California for a week last week, we had an awesome time hanging out, enjoying the sunshine, and visiting friends. It was Kim's birthday, so I got her a banana cake from Icing on the Cake Bakery in Los Gatos. The best cake ever. Remember when I tried to make N this cake?! The bundt is delicious, but no match. We celebrated America. We also went to Carmel, and to the Ferry Terminal Farmers Market and Coit Tower in San Francisco. And we drank champagne - Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs - heaven.
2) I'm reading Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton. It is an excellent book and the way she writes about food is so inspiring.
3) A few weeks ago we went to a lovely wedding! Everything about the day was perfect!
3) I recently learned how to use a curling iron. And my life has changed. Seriously, I'm obsessed! Thank goodness for YouTube, Lauren Conrad, and other reality TV ladies. The videos I used to learn how to do this are: LC's waves, Emily Maynard inspired hair (because I've been watching this season of the Bachelorette religiously), and the (semi-annoying) but useful Michelle Money video.
4) While in San Francisco hanging out with some girlfriends from high school, I had a Greyhound for the first time. New favorite drink!! It is so refreshing and not as tart as I expected it to be. If you find it to be too tart for you, add a tiny bit of raw honey. See the recipe below! I will be making these any chance I get. (PS one grapefruit was enough for one drink). And this gorgeous color would be great at a baby or bridal shower, or even as a signature cocktail for a wedding!
Greyhound1 part Vodka
3 parts freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
Squeeze your grapefruit juice and strain at least some of it through a fine mesh strainer (depending on how much pulp you want, I strained half of the juice).
Fill a rocks glass with ice, then add one ounce of high-quality Vodka and three ounces of grapefruit juice (for each drink). Serve with a large wedge of grapefruit and a pretty straw!